- This event has passed.
Cocréa Mindful Partner Dance Immersion – Santa Cruz
March 30 @ 1:00 pm - March 31 @ 5:00 pm
COCRÉA is an improvisational partner dance practice for developing presence, opening gateways to creativity, empowering mindful leaders and followers and generating authentic connection in relationship.
In this weekend workshop, master partner dancer and facilitator Wren LaFeet will guide participants into an experiential embodiment practice based in the forms of many of the world’s social partner dance techniques, while inviting and allowing an easeful flow of ideas to emerge through listening and responding to the moment. Familiar techniques woven together in this practice include contact improvisation, blues, tango, fusion, and more! As we hone this dynamic, kinetic toolbox, we emphasize connection, communication and presence between two people within a community of others. Allowing intuition and feeling to guide the partnership, their centers and frames to support it, Cocréa celebrates our ability to embody profound joy through being in a body moving in harmony with another body.
Weaving the threads of collaboration, cross-pollination and consciousness, the practice focuses on how dance can enhance and expand relationships into a deeply connected, honest and powerful tool for personal, interpersonal and collective transformation.
▬ COCRÉA WEEKEND WORKSHOP ▬
Goals of Instruction
* Give you empowerment to enter into partnership confidently on any dance floor regardless of musical genre.
* Provide a context for you to connect in a positive, supportive and mutually enjoyable manner.
* Expand your movement vocabulary by guiding you through a progressive curriculum.
* Gain greater body awareness and sensitivity – both physical and emotional – to your partner.
* Practice deep listening to adjust and adapt to what is emerging between you and your partner in keeping with good consent.
* Build physical, emotion and spiritual resilience to change.
* Grow into releasing expectations and agendas.
* Learn to invite, allow, accept and embrace what is.
* Develop mindfulness and deeper body awareness.
* Open gateways to your creative mind.
* Exercise confidence in all your interactions.
* Get an excellent, full body workout.
* Learn and practice valuable consent tools for being in integrity in all your interactions.
* Nurture authentic, compassionate and intimate connections to those with whom you relate.
* Create calm in your life through engaging mirror neurons and offering your body the touch it needs without expectations, attachments or entanglements.
* Increase your intelligence through the one activity scientifically shown to activate the neuroplasticity of the brain and decrease the risk of dementia and Alzheimer’s more than any other – social partner dance!
A few of the concepts Cocréa workshops explore:
* Spinaesthesia – Jedi musicality. Sensing music as movement in your body.
* Conversational dance – blurring the line between lead and follow moving towards a roll-less dance.
* Flow State – letting go of the mind and entering into complete embodiment of our highest frequency.
* Dynamism in partnership – dancing with non-duality in all the places along the spectrum.
* Technique – dancing sustainably, setting yourself up for a lifetime of dancing.
* Radical Presence – being aware of everything that’s happening in your body, with your partner and the space around you, all of the time, no matter what.
Please join us for a weekend of rich development in dance and authentic relating!
▬ DATES AND TIMES ▬
Saturday, March 30th 1pm-6pm &
Sunday, March 31st 12:30-5:30pm
This will be a full weekend with two days of workshop sessions building on each other.
No housing on-site.
Nearby accommodations available through AirB&B and local friend stays.
▬ LOCATION ▬
The 418 Project
418 Front St.
Santa Cruz, CA
▬ RESOURCE EXCHANGE ▬
$95 / $125 / $155
Please pay what is available to you that feels like a stretch.
For scholarship or work trade opportunities, please contact Wren at the email below.
Both singles and couples welcome.
▬ FACILITATOR ▬
A dancer in the Fusion social partner dance movement since it began, Wren’s dancing largely defines fusion as an emergent aesthetic dance form. Fueled by his curiosity in spirituality, the body, global community, the natural world and relationships, and guided by his devotion to love and the idea of the Beloved, partner dance has served as the vehicle for his inquiry and understanding. He has inspired the formation of multiple fusion dance communities on the west coast of North America, and teaches partner dance internationally as a practice for mindful, authentic living, enlivening communities with his signature modality, Cocréa. His facilitation encourages individuals to create themselves as safer spaces for the embodiment of the full range of human expression. Promoting dance as medicine, spirituality and salve for our modern ailments of disconnection and alienation, his practice insists we trust our bodies with the music and our partner to catalyze elevating our whole being into higher vibrational states.
Working with the holographic overview of humanity provided by the Gene Keys and combining its contemplative practice with his own somatic exploration and intuitive listening through the body, as well as his study of human conflict through theater, Wren empowers individuals and communities to dance with joy, helps free insights locked in the body, coaches people to more easily access their sensuality and even on privileged occasion supports the healing of chronic disease. Wren’s goal is to support people into right relationship with the moment; to listen and respond appropriately to what is being called for in service to the highest possible good. He holds a BA in Drama and Dance from the University of Washington, is an author in the published work, “Reinhabiting the Village,” a TEDx speaker and your muse for all things somatic.
▬ ORGANIZER / PRODUCER ▬
▬ CONNECT ▬
To learn more about Cocréa check us out at our website at http://dancecocrea.com
Contact Wren LaFeet via FB Msgr or
or email dancecocrea(at)gmail(dot)com
Excited to dance with you!!!